Thursday, July 19, 2012

Into the world of fashion

Hello! Summer is almost coming to an end and I have been burnt out with shopping. I am a little, maybe more than a little addicted to shopping. I hope this blog therapy will give me a break from buying. It all started with the digital world of shopping this summer...AKA, online shopping. But you see, I had a reason, alright? I will be going to 2 weddings this August in Toronto and Vancouver and needed to find some wonderful dresses. So, my online shopping thrill began on Forever 21. And then, I started to really get into researching these cool, indie/vintage stores online. Some of my top choices that were found include: Urbanog.com, Modcloth.com, and Shopruche.com. If you haven't heard of any of these stores, I would highly recommend checking them out, the most expensive in that list would be Modcloth, the other ones have pretty reasonable and cheap prices in the sales, comparable to Forever21. Their styles have become my favorite.

I have really noticed that this season, the things that are most trending are: bright colors, pastels specifically Mint color, chiffon material, sleeveless collared shirts(I have been seeing these everywhere!), pants with patterns/prints, and stripes(but when isn't it?). I would say that my style has definitely changed since last year. My best guy friend asked me how I would define my style, and I had a hard time putting any labels. This friend and I had a very long argument about the stores JCrew and Urban Outfitters. Totally different styles, right? Anyways, he argued that JCrew has a very defined style, while Urban does not. While I agree that JCrew has a specific style(classy/preppy) that is targeted at 25-40 year olds, I think Urban Outfitters is "defined" by how a girl chooses to wear their clothing. It does have some pretty crazy stuff, but I also think it has very nice clothing items. How do you think you would label your favorite stores fashion??? While Urban is my second favorite, I would say it is creative, fun, and maybe a little wannabe hipster. My friend had pointed out that Urban encourages a bit of "slutty"-ness in their clothing.  I think that this honestly depends on HOW the girl chooses to wear something, because you can find very inappropriate clothes anywhere. But it depends on how the girl styles it and chooses to wear it. I do not think it is fair to generalize a store in that way. Each individual has their own style and it all varies!

Do most people have a set consistent style that they stick with? Or do you think that it can mix? Another point argued was whether a person will only shop at stores that contribute to their style. For example, can a girl shop at both stores such as JCrew and say, Urban or Forever21?  I think many girls have a variety of styles in their wardrobe, so yes, I do think they can, but it does go both ways. Let's face it though, realistically, most of us will shop conveniently for cheap, nice finds. It's the smart way to shop.

2 comments:

  1. omg online shopping is the worst! I have almost gone blode over that because it is so easy to spend TOO MUCH! But yeah, I love all the bright colors and all that. I don't have a set style. One day I'll dress elegant, the next, I will dress businessy, then I can dress like a cowgirl. I dunno.
    lol
    have a great day Jackie!
    ~Morgan

    ReplyDelete